Funding phase 2
Facilitating diagnostic competences of biology teachers using simulation-based learning environments: Effects of prompts adapted to the pedagogical content knowledge and diagnostic activities of the learners and the role of these prompts in the course of teachers' study
Postdoctoral Research Associate
2020 - 2023
In project 3, the role of macro- and microadaptive prompts for fostering diagnostic competences of prospective biology teachers will be analyzed on the basis of three studies. In this project we will not only investigate which kind of prompts are more effective for the promotion of diagnostic competences, but also how can prompts be adapted to the course of teachers' study. It will be examined which prompts need to be used at which point in the course of the teachers' study in order to foster diagnostic competences effectively. All three studies will be conducted using the video-based simulation environment developed in the first funding phase.
- The first data collection of the longitudinal study took place in summer 2020. Currently, macroadaptive prompts are being developed and integrated into the video-based simulation environment. The macro-adaption is carried out with regard to the pedagogical content knowledge of the learners.
- Kramer, M., Stürmer, J., Förtsch, C., Förtsch, S., Seidel, T., & Neuhaus, B. J. (2020). Measuring biology teachers’ professional vision: Development and validation of a video-based assessment tool. Cogent Journal, 7(1), 1-28. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/2331186X.2020.1823155
- Förtsch, C., Sommerhoff, D., Fischer, F., Fischer, M. R., Girwidz, R., Obersteiner, A., Reiss, K., Stürmer, K., Siebeck, M., Schmidmaier, R., Seidel, T., Ufer, S., Wecker, C., & Neuhaus, B. J. (2018). Systematizing Professional Knowledge of Medical Doctors and Teachers: Development of an Interdisciplinary Framework in the Context of Diagnostic Competences. Education Sciences, 8(4), 207. https://www.mdpi.com/2227-7102/8/4/207/htm
- Dorfner, T., Förtsch, C., Germ, M., & Neuhaus, B. J. (2018). Biology instruction using a generic framework of scientific reasoning and argumentation with suggested lessons. Teaching and Teacher Education, 75, 232-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2018.07.003
- Kramer, M., Stürmer, J., Förtsch, C., Seidel, T., Ufer, S., Fischer, M. R. & Neuhaus, B. J. (in press.). Diagnosing instructional quality of biology lessons based on staged-videos: Developing DiKoBi, a simulation-based learning environment. In F. Fischer & A. Opitz (Hrsg.), Learning to diagnose with simulations - examples from teacher education and medical education. Springer Briefs in Education Series. New York: Springer.